Come and say hi to the ILC at O-DAY! 👋🏼
As the new kid on the block, we are really excited to be back for our second year as a club and we can’t wait to meet you all at O-DAY!
The UWA International Law Club provides space for a wide range of students interested in the world and how it operates to come together and promotes the field of international law in our university community. As a new club, there are so many of opportunities for you to get involved.
> Come visit our tent at O-DAY to see what we’re about, sign up and have a sneaky treat!
> The best part is, you don’t have to be studying law to join. Whether you’re a fresher or in postgrad, everyone is welcome!
If you have any questions feel free to message us or we would love to chat to you at O-DAY! ☺️
Here’s the link to the UWA Student Guild ODAY 2017 event👇🏼
Venue: James Oval, UWA
Date: Friday, 24 February 2017
Time: 11am – 3pm
Tuesday 23rd August, 1:00pm – 2:00pm @ Law Lecture Theatre, University of Western Australia.
The UWA International Law Club hosted The Honourable Kim Beazley, AC to give insight into his experiences as Australian Ambassador to America.
Mondays from 1:00pm – 2:00pm @ University of Western Australia (Weeks 6 – 10).
The ILC Seminar Series is a weekly research seminar beginning in week 6, where a student or staff member has the opportunity to present international law research, topics or ideas to their peers to lead a discussion and/or seek feedback and comments on their work. All professors and students are welcome to attend.
The outline for the ILC Seminar Series for Semester 2, 2016 is as follows:
- Week 6, 5th September @ E-Moot Court: Australia’s War Crimes Trials of the Japanese (1945-51), delivered by Dr Narrelle Morris (Professor at Curtin Law School)
- Week 7, 12th September @ Masters Seminar Room: Pursuing an International Law Career, delivered by Professor Lawrence Watters (Visiting Professor at UWA, previously of University of Oslo)
- Week 8, 19th September @ Masters Seminar Room: Institutionalising State Responsibility Through Global Security and UN Organs, delivered by Dr Vincent-Joel Proulx (Professor at National University of Singapore)
- Week 9, 3rd October @ E-Moot Court: Slavery and Human Rights in Pakistan, delivered by Oliver Mitchell (Honours student, UWA)
- Week 10, 10th October @ E-Moot Court: Somali Piracy: A Criminological Perspective, delivered by Dr Jade Lindley (Research Fellow, UWA)
Thursday 24th March, 6:00pm – 9:00pm @ Pure Bar, 331 Hay Street, Subiaco.
The Hon. Stephen Smith joined us for the UWA International Law Club’s formal launch at Pure Bar in Subiaco to give a talk on ‘The role of international law in Australia’s future’. Stephen Smith is a Professor of International Law at UWA, and has previously served as the Australian Foreign Minister. Food provided. 18+ event, ID required.
Every second Friday from 1:00pm – 2:00pm @ E-Moot Court, Law Building, University of Western Australia (weeks 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11)
The ILC Seminar Series is a fortnightly research seminar, where a student or staff member has the opportunity to present international law research, topics or ideas to their peers to lead a discussion and/or seek feedback and comments on their work. All professors and students are welcome to attend.
The ILC Seminar Series for Semester 1, 2016 has been confirmed and is as follows:
- Week 3, 18th March: Mass Surveillance and International Law, delivered by Isabella Bogunovich (6th year Bachelor of Laws, Jessup Mooter)
- Week 5, 1st April: Law of the Sea in the South China Sea, delivered by Andrew Chubb (PhD Candidate, UWA)
- Week 7, 15th April: Transferring Responsibility? The Influence and Interpretation of International Law in Australia’s Approach to Afghan Detainees, delivered by Sean Richmond (UWA International Law Professor)
- Week 9, 6th May: Piracy, Slavery and Illegal Fishing, delivered by Dr Erika Techera (UWA Dean of Law)
- Week 11, 20th May: Whodunit? Cyber Warfare and the Attribution Problem, delivered by Matheo Vinciullo (Jessup Mooter, 3rd year JD)
Wednesday 9th March, 10:00am – 12:00pm @ Club Collaborative Zone Meeting Rooms A + B, University of Western Australia
Come along to see our first elected committee, appoints made for other positions, and to learn more about our exciting plans in 2016!
Friday 26th February, 11:00am – 3:30pm @ James Oval, University of Western Australia
Come and visit us at our stall on James Oval during UWA’s biggest annual student event! You can sign up for memberships ($4.00), purchase a membership and a ticket to our Sundowner event (special prize of $5.00), sign up to our free mailing list, and gets lots of free stuff! Also hear about all the exciting things we have planned for the International Law Club.