You are cordially invited to join us as we launch the most recent volume of the Perth International Law Journal. The Club will also be conferring Honorary Life Memberships to distinguished academics from the UWA Law School. The Hon Professor Stephen Smith is our guest speaker for the evening.
We hope you’ll join us for some light refreshments!
RSVP: to Emma Bolton by COB Monday, 26 March 2018 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us at the Arts Super-Sundowner on Wednesday, 7 March 2018 from 4.30pm on the Matilda Bay Foreshore as we host our first event of the year together with the UWA Arts Union, UWA Politics Club, UWA Italian Club, UWA French Club, UWA Film Society, Envoy, and the University Hispanic Group.
Free Sausage Sizzle for Members!
See you there!
Tuesday 15th August, 1:00pm – 2:00pm @ Economics and Commerce Conference Room (Room 3.73) 3rd Floor, Old Economics and Commerce Building, The University of Western Australia.
Come and listen to some engaging speakers discuss the Syrian refugee crisis. All are welcome to attend!
Speakers: Dr Jamal Barnes, Dr Alan Bloomfield and Fiona McGaughey
Wednesday 9th August, 1:00pm – 2:00pm @ Engineering Lecture Theatre 2, University of Western Australia.
Come along for a free lesson on the basics of international law!
Thursday 9th March, 6:00pm – 8:30pm @ Captain Stirling Hotel, Nedlands. ILC hosted its first event of the year to welcome new members!
Tuesday 23rd August, 1:00pm – 2:00pm @ Law Lecture Theatre, University of Western Australia.
The UWA International Law Club hosted The Honourable Kim Beazley, AC to give insight into his experiences as Australian Ambassador to America.
Mondays from 1:00pm – 2:00pm @ University of Western Australia (Weeks 6 – 10).
The ILC Seminar Series is a weekly research seminar beginning in week 6, where a student or staff member has the opportunity to present international law research, topics or ideas to their peers to lead a discussion and/or seek feedback and comments on their work. All professors and students are welcome to attend.
The outline for the ILC Seminar Series for Semester 2, 2016 is as follows:
- Week 6, 5th September @ E-Moot Court: Australia’s War Crimes Trials of the Japanese (1945-51), delivered by Dr Narrelle Morris (Professor at Curtin Law School)
- Week 7, 12th September @ Masters Seminar Room: Pursuing an International Law Career, delivered by Professor Lawrence Watters (Visiting Professor at UWA, previously of University of Oslo)
- Week 8, 19th September @ Masters Seminar Room: Institutionalising State Responsibility Through Global Security and UN Organs, delivered by Dr Vincent-Joel Proulx (Professor at National University of Singapore)
- Week 9, 3rd October @ E-Moot Court: Slavery and Human Rights in Pakistan, delivered by Oliver Mitchell (Honours student, UWA)
- Week 10, 10th October @ E-Moot Court: Somali Piracy: A Criminological Perspective, delivered by Dr Jade Lindley (Research Fellow, UWA)
Thursday 24th March, 6:00pm – 9:00pm @ Pure Bar, 331 Hay Street, Subiaco.
The Hon. Stephen Smith joined us for the UWA International Law Club’s formal launch at Pure Bar in Subiaco to give a talk on ‘The role of international law in Australia’s future’. Stephen Smith is a Professor of International Law at UWA, and has previously served as the Australian Foreign Minister. Food provided. 18+ event, ID required.
Every second Friday from 1:00pm – 2:00pm @ E-Moot Court, Law Building, University of Western Australia (weeks 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11)
The ILC Seminar Series is a fortnightly research seminar, where a student or staff member has the opportunity to present international law research, topics or ideas to their peers to lead a discussion and/or seek feedback and comments on their work. All professors and students are welcome to attend.
The ILC Seminar Series for Semester 1, 2016 has been confirmed and is as follows:
- Week 3, 18th March: Mass Surveillance and International Law, delivered by Isabella Bogunovich (6th year Bachelor of Laws, Jessup Mooter)
- Week 5, 1st April: Law of the Sea in the South China Sea, delivered by Andrew Chubb (PhD Candidate, UWA)
- Week 7, 15th April: Transferring Responsibility? The Influence and Interpretation of International Law in Australia’s Approach to Afghan Detainees, delivered by Sean Richmond (UWA International Law Professor)
- Week 9, 6th May: Piracy, Slavery and Illegal Fishing, delivered by Dr Erika Techera (UWA Dean of Law)
- Week 11, 20th May: Whodunit? Cyber Warfare and the Attribution Problem, delivered by Matheo Vinciullo (Jessup Mooter, 3rd year JD)
Wednesday 9th March, 10:00am – 12:00pm @ Club Collaborative Zone Meeting Rooms A + B, University of Western Australia
Come along to see our first elected committee, appoints made for other positions, and to learn more about our exciting plans in 2016!